Haryana on Thursday, conducted its first ever mega Mock Earthquake Drill. Headed by Haryana Revenue and Disaster Management Department, a massive earthquake warning was staged, by blowing up sirens across the state.
The exercise covered 122 locations across 22 districts in the state.
The drill, so conducted followed the directives issued by Prime Minister Narendra Modi for work towards Disaster Risk Reduction.
Haryana is prone to Earthquake and falls under Seismic Zones II, III and IV.
Nasa predicts the Flooded Cities. To know more, Click Here
- Conducted in coordination with National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), New Delhi, the mock drill kick started at 10:00 am
- A hypothetical Earthquake measuring 6.8 on the Richter scale was simulated.
- The epicentre of the mock earthquake was the west of Gurugram along the Jaipur ridge and Sohna Fault Line.
- The Evacuation Drill covered Schools, offices, residential complexes, shopping complexes, hospital and major hazardous units in the State.
- The respective departments restored the telecom services, electricity and water supply, once the drill was over.
Moreover, the drill saw participation of military, paramilitary forces, National Disaster Response Force (NDRF), National Security Guard (NSG), Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), and ITBP. Additionaly, there was active partcipation from the state macinery. The district saw deployment of 136 teams.
Also, the authorities used drones for managing and examining the mock drill.
AIM OF THE MOCK EARTHQUAKE DRILL
- Furthermore, The aim of the exercise was to prepare and sensitize the residents for the natural calamity.
- Additionally, it proved to be an effective tool to evaluate the preparedness of the authorities, in case of an emergency.
- Revenue and disaster management minister, Captain Abhimanyu had held a meeting on Tuesday at Chandigarh. In the review meeting, he discussed about the mega mock exercise with all deputy commissioners (DC) of the districts.
- Talking about the mock Earthquake drill, he said “Haryana is in high risk zone of earthquake due to urbanization and high rise buildings in National Capital Region. The aim of the exercise is not to find faults but to evaluate the preparedness of agencies related to disaster management apart from generating awareness among the general public about safety measures in case of earthquakes.”
However, States of Punjab, Haryana, Himachal Pradesh and Union territory Chandigarh had participated in a similar mock Earthquake drill conducted in 2013 . The exercise conducted by National Disaster Management Authority (NDMA), at that time, had seen participation of only Panchkula district from Haryana.