Amazon’s Kindle Unlimited is a convenient way to gain access to excellent ebooks and audiobooks.
However, if you are unhappy with your subscription or if it no longer fits your budget and you wish to cancel Kindle Unlimited, we have you covered.
You will find the necessary steps below.
How to Cancel Your Kindle Unlimited Subscription?
The quickest method is to access your Kindle account and manage your membership there.
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited from Your Kindle Account?
The fastest way is to go directly to your Kindle account and manage your membership from there.
Open your preferred web browser and follow these steps:
- Navigate to your Kindle account page, where you’ll see an overview of your subscription, including the next charge date.
- Go through the options and click “Manage Your Kindle Unlimited Membership.“
- At the bottom of the page, on the left, you’ll see the “Cancel Kindle Unlimited Membership” button.
- You’ll be taken to a new page, asking whether you are sure you want to end your subscription. If you are, click “Cancel Membership.“
After the termination, you can still enjoy the service until the last day of the billing cycle.
Via Desktop App
Unfortunately, you cannot cancel your subscription directly from the Kindle desktop application.
You can instead click the “Kindle Store” button in the app’s upper-right corner. This will open your account page in the browser, and you should then proceed as described previously.
How to Cancel Kindle Unlimited from Your Amazon Account?
An alternative way to end your membership is directly from your Amazon account page.
If you prefer to use a web browser, all you have to do is:
- Log in to your Amazon profile and hover over the “Accounts & Lists” tab at the top right corner.
- Under the “Your Account” heading, you’ll find the “Kindle Unlimited” link in the middle of the drop-down menu. Press it, and it’ll open an overview of your subscription.
- In the left-hand corner, you will see the “Cancel Kindle Unlimited Membership” button.
4. Clicking that will take you to a new page, asking whether you are sure you want to end the subscription. Confirm by pressing “Cancel Membership.”
That’s all you need to do to cancel a Kindle subscription.
It’s also effortless to manage your membership via the Amazon mobile app for Android or iOS.
1. Open the app, sign in, and tap the account icon at the bottom of the screen.
2. Now, tap the “Your Account” button at the top of the screen.
3. Swipe down until you reach the “Account Settings” heading and press “Memberships and Subscriptions.”
4. Go to “Kindle Unlimited Settings” under the “Kindle Unlimited” heading.
5. You’ll find your subscription overview, including the next charge date. Find the Kindle “Membership Cancel” button and tap on it.
6. You’ll be taken to a new page, asking whether you are sure you want to end your subscription. Press “Continue to cancel.”
7. You may receive a special offer to keep your subscription at this stage. If you still want to proceed, tap the final “Cancel membership” button.
Note: You can also easily terminate the subscription via your mobile web browser by following the same steps as for desktop browsers.
How to Confirm the Cancelation?
If you’re unsure and want to verify that your Kindle subscription was cancelled, you can do the following:
Go to Kindle Unlimited Account Page
Follow the steps outlined in the preceding section to access your Kindle Unlimited account page. Once there, on the left-hand side you will find a summary of your subscription.
If it has been cancelled, the end date and the message: “Your books will be returned thereafter. Your membership can be reactivated at any time.”
Check Your Email
If you successfully cancel a Kindle subscription, Amazon will send a confirmation email to the associated profile email address.
Unless you have blocked Amazon from contacting you, the message should be easily accessible in your inbox. You will also find a link to renew your subscription in the email.
What Happens When You Cancel Kindle Unlimited?
When you cancel your Kindle Unlimited membership, any borrowed books are returned at the end of the billing period. After that, you will no longer have access to them.
As stated previously, you may cancel your subscription at any time during the current billing cycle, and you will have full access to the service until the end of that period. You can find the expiration date on your account page and the email confirming your cancellation.
Is There a Refund?
No, cancelling Kindle Unlimited does not result in a refund.
This is due to the fact that you pay a month in advance. In other words, you will be charged for the next 30 days immediately upon subscribing.
Upon cancellation, your membership remains active for the remainder of its term, even if you do not intend to utilise it.
How to Renew Kindle Unlimited?
Now that you know how to cancel a Kindle Unlimited subscription, how do you renew it?
Amazon provides several opportunities to continue your membership during the cancellation process. However, if you have already completed the process, you must subscribe again.
It only takes a few clicks to cancel your membership if you are still within the membership period, i.e. if you have cancelled but still have some days remaining.
- Follow the previously-explained steps to access your account page and manage your Kindle Unlimited membership.
- On the left-hand side, you’ll find the overview of your subscription with the end date. Look for the button “Continue Kindle Unlimited Membership.“
- Hit the button, and it’ll take you to a new page to confirm your renewal.
The billing cycle for your subscription will now remain the same as before. That is, you will be charged on the same date as before cancellation.
If your membership has expired, you can still reactivate it. You will be billed as a new customer on the date you cancel.
Amazon and Kindle provide an excellent service for all book lovers. One mouse click grants access to millions of titles for less than $10 per month.
However, if you try Kindle Unlimited and decide it’s not for you, you should know how to cancel your subscription.
As you can see, the steps outlined above are quite straightforward, so no time or effort will be required. And if you ever decide to return, renewal is similarly simple.