Even though Google Play has made it hard for all app stores to compete, a few have managed to stick their heads above the water and make a way for us to download apps on our phones from other places. One of them is APKMirror, which has one of the largest collections of Android apps.
The problem with these stores is that most of them don’t make it clear where the APK files came from. This is a problem because the files could have been changed to get into our device’s data and break our privacy.
But APKMirror is just as reliable as Google Play, which is why it is one of the main alternatives to Google Play and also a good place to look if an app or game isn’t in the official Google store, which is often the case.
What is APKMirror?
First of all, APKMirror is a place where you can find and download apps and games. It has a number of benefits that make it one of the largest places to download apps on the Internet. Also, developers have been able to make it work on Android, which makes it easier to use on smartphones.
Also, it has a very noticeable part that has everything to do with meeting security requirements when downloading apps, which gives us more confidence in it than other repositories.
This is because all of the apps on the platform are signed by their creators. This means that none of the apps have been copied or changed. On the other hand, there are more and more updates than in the Play Store because Google’s figure doesn’t get in the way of the updates.
If a developer’s signature can’t be checked or verified, or if an app doesn’t have the right description and doesn’t seem trustworthy, it won’t be put in the store. This keeps people from downloading malware or fake apps.
There are a lot of apps to choose from in the store, so we can find what we need. In the Google Play store, you can also try out beta versions of apps before anyone else and install apps that aren’t available where you live.
On the other hand, APKMirror is very helpful to independent developers whose apps are open source, since the utility is rewarded more than the name of the developer.
Read More: How to Split Your Screen in Windows 10?
How to Install Apps From APKMirror and What You Should Keep in Mind
APKMirror has its own mobile website that works like an app, even though we will tell you below that there is a “semi” official app, APK Mirror Installer, in Google Play. This is where we can search for the apps or games we want to download, even though they are in APK format, which means they can’t be automatically installed. So, we have to install the app by hand. It also has an unofficial port that works just like the web version and has its own settings page.
And how do you do it? Well, it’s very simple, no matter which way you go. Here are the steps to take:
- Enter APKMirror from a browser of your mobile or from the unofficial app, which does not have any danger for our terminal.
- Find the application you want to download, using the search engine on the web or in the app.
- Select the application, and then all the available versions will appear.
- Choose the version you want to download (they are usually organized from newest to oldest).
- Press on Download within this version.
- Wait for the APK files of the application.
- Open / Run said APK.
- When you run it, it will ask you to accept permissions from third-party sources. Activate the option “Files from Unknown Sources” to continue with the installation
- Wait till I know complete the installation.
- Open the application once the process is complete.
Read More: When Will Call of Duty Be on Nintendo Switch?
APKMirror Installer, the Official App Available on The Play Store
APK Mirror Installer is an app that lets us install.apkm,.xapk, and.apks application package files as well as regular.apk files. Even though APKMirror works outside of the Play Store, it has an official app that can be found in the Google Play store.
This installer knows how to find APK files and automatically installs them in the terminal. It looks at all the files in the storage with that extension, and in the “Browse Files” option, we can find all the ones we can install.
It even shows specifics like the file’s name or version. They recently added a new feature that lets us see exactly why an APK file download didn’t work from the installer if it didn’t work.
Read More: How to See Sensitive Content on Twitter?
A Repository of Apps that You Can Install On Android TV
One thing that makes this unofficial app and game store stand out is that it has a version just for smart TVs with the Android operating system. The app will let you install APK files as long as they are already in the Android TV’s memory or on a flash drive that you have connected to it.
Notably, APKMirror Installer doesn’t use the website to download APK apps, so it’s not a replacement for the Google Play Store. Instead, it’s an installer. To get it on Android TV, we have to take a few simple steps, just like on mobile devices:
- Enter the Google Play Store from your Android TV.
- Once inside the Google application store, you will have to click on the small magnifying glass which is located at the top right of the screen.
- Therefore, you will have to click on the search box which is located at the top of the screen.
- Write the words APK Mirror in the search engine, and then hit Enter on the keyboard of your Android TV.
- Click on the first result displayed on the screen.
- And finally, hit the button that says Install so that APKMirror Installer is installed correctly on your Android TV.