This piece tells you how to change the name you gave your iPhone when you set it up to something different. The instructions apply to iPhones that have iOS 11 or later.
How to Change the iPhone Name on the iPhone
Follow these steps to change the name of your iPhone right on the phone:
On the iPhone Home screen, tap Settings.
Tap the x next to the current name.
Type in a new name. Whatever you enter is automatically saved.
Return to the Home screen to keep using your iPhone with its new name.
Read More: How to Change Your Gmail Password?
How to Change an iPhone Name Using iTunes
When you sync your iPhone with iTunes, you can also use that app to change the name of your iPhone. This is how:
Connect your iPhone to the computer you normally sync it to. Open iTunes if it doesn’t open automatically.
In the upper-left corner, select the iPhone icon to go to the iPhone management screen.
In the left pane, select the name of your iPhone.
In the field with the old name, enter the new iPhone name you prefer.
ITunes automatically re-syncs the phone and saves the new iPhone name.
Where You See Your iPhone Name
You won’t see the name of your iPhone very often, and it won’t change how you use the phone. Only in the following places are you likely to see the name iPhone:
- Syncing in iTunes. You see the name of your iPhone whenever you sync with iTunes.
- Connecting to Personal Hotspot. This may be the most popular reason why people change the name of their iPhones. When you or other people try to join to your iPhone’s Personal Hotspot, you do so by using your iPhone’s name. If you use this function often on your commute, you’ve probably seen other people give their iPhones funny names. “FBI Surveillance Van” seems to be a popular one.
- Using Find My iPhone. If you need to use Find My iPhone to find a lost or stolen phone, you can do so by selecting the name of the phone.
- Using AirDrop. When someone sends you a file through AirDrop and you’re not in their Contacts list, they’ll see the name of your iPhone.
- Viewing Apple ID Online. When you look at your Apple ID account online, you’ll see a list of all the devices that are connected to it. The name is written on each of these things.