Do you want to get rid of your LinkedIn account for good? You may have found an old account that you no longer need. Do you want to get rid of the account you have now and start over? No matter why you want to get rid of your LinkedIn account for good, this guide will show you how to do it.
Even though LinkedIn is a social network, it is a great place to hang out because it is full of positive people who are trying to advance their careers and make professional contacts. It helps that LinkedIn is full of professionals and not just random people, and that most of its members are workers, professionals in their fields, and people interested in careers.
There are many reasons why you might want to delete your LinkedIn account, from going dark to starting over in your career. LinkedIn is different from other social networks because it doesn’t try to hold on to your information the way a terrier holds on to a ball. It will let you do whatever you want with your account.
Permanently Deleting Your LinkedIn Account
If you choose to permanently delete your LinkedIn account, it will also delete your profile, photos, contacts, and anything else that has to do with your LinkedIn life. You can use this shortcut to close your LinkedIn account. It says you have 14 days to reopen it, but all the recommendations and endorsements you’ve gotten will be gone forever.
The page also says that if you want to delete your account, you must first cancel your “Premium” status and any LinkedIn groups you own. After you do these things, your account becomes a LinkedIn Basic account that you can delete.
On the page for closing your LinkedIn account, click the “Close Account” button near the top. This will take you to the closing wizard, which will walk you through the steps of getting rid of your account.
You can also close your account by using a browser or the app on your phone. Here are the steps for both.
How to Delete Your LinkedIn Account using a Browser
Many users find it easier to close their LinkedIn account by using a desktop browser. Here’s how to do it.
- Log in to LinkedIn and click on your profile icon.
- Select “Settings & Privacy.”
- Click on “Account Preferences” in the menu on the left-hand side, then select “Account Management.”
- Scroll down and click on “Change” in the “Close Account” section.
- From the list provided, select one of the reasons for closing your account. Then, type a description of the reason for the closure (this is required). Finally, click “Next” at the bottom.
- Type in your password to verify your account, then select “Close Account.”
You will still see a warning about data deletion and the ever-so-popular statement, “We’re sorry to see you go,” but LinkedIn won’t make too much of a fuss about you leaving.
How to Delete Your LinkedIn Account using the App
You can also delete your LinkedIn account from the app if you so decide. The process is much the same as using a browser.
- Log into the LinkedIn app.
- Tap your “profile icon” in the upper left-hand corner.
- Select “Settings” at the top.
- Choose “Account Preferences.”
- Select the “Close Account” option at the bottom of the Account tab.
- Tap on “Continue” and add your reason for leaving.
- Enter your password to confirm the action, then select “Done.”
- A notification appears talking about data loss and being sorry to see you go, but your account gets set for permanentl deletion once you continue.