Goa Chief Minister, Manohar Parrikar has unveiled India’s first Mobile Food Testing Lab. Also known as, ‘Food on Wheels’, it claims to provide results, for ‘On the Spot’ food test, within 15 minutes. Goa’s Food and Drugs Administration (FDA) minister Vishwajit Rane and the director of FDA Jyoti Sardessai were present at the time of the inaugration.
Vishwajit Rane said that, “The mobile lab will do away with need to get the food samples to the FDA laboratory near Panaji for tests. It will cut the delays,”
The vehicle contains all the necessary equipments. It includes, milk analyser, hot air oven, hot plate, mixer grinder, digital weighing scale, digital multi parameter hand-held meter, power generator, air conditioner and refrigerator.
About the Mobile Food Testing Lab, Manohar Parrikar said, “Most of the time we don’t know what is mixed in the food that we eat. The laboratory will also educate people about nutrition and importance of safe food.”
The chief minister further added that, “It is entirely funded by the Centre, which will also bear the maintenance cost for five years.”
MORE ABOUT THE MOBILE FOOD TESTING LAB
- The total cost of the Lab is Rs 41 Lakh.
- The Mobile Food Testing Lab will be travelling across the state. It will be instrumental in conducting surprise checks for food samples.
- Furthermore, it will yield faster results and cut down any delays.
- Moreover, the Lab will be used for conducting tests for common adulterants in milk, water, edible oil and other items of daily consumption.
- Additionally, it aims to build awareness about the importance of eating healthy and hygienic food.
- Moreover, it plans to educate food handlers and supervisors in food businesses. It will do so, by providing them with adequate training and certification programs.
- The long term goal, however, is to sensitize citizens about ‘food safety’ and encourage ‘healthy eating habits’.
India, has a limited number of Food Testing Labs. The incorporation of a ‘Mobile Food Testing Lab’ has a wide reach. This will keep those in food business under check. Moreover it will help in instilling confidence among the consumers that the food is safe to eat.