Seems like Baba Ramdev’s Patanjali doesn’t want to let go of any industrial product in it’s business ventures (read * surge for a Swadeshi development model*).
The recent dive was made into the telecommunications sector, as India’s most trusted fast-moving consumer goods brand, Patanjali, launched it’s Swadeshi Samriddhi sim cards, in association with Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL).
• Initially, only the employees and office bearers of Patanjali will be able to avail the benefits of the sim card.
• After it is available for all, the sim card users will get a 10% discount on all Patanjali products.
• The offer made is, unlimited calls to any part of the country, 2GB data and 100 SMSs for Rs 144.
• With the motive of “Prosperity for Charity”, the Patanjali sim card comes with additional medical insurance and life insurance covers of Rs 2.5 Lakhs and Rs 5 Lakhs respectively. However, the covers can only be availed in case of road accidents.
• Sunil Garg, BSNL’s Chief General Manager, at the launch event said, “ Patanjali’s plan is BSNL’s best plan”.
The sim card launch was rapidly followed by the launch of Baba Ramdev’s swadeshi messaging app, Kimbho on Wednesday, 30th May, to take on WhatsApp. Patanjali Spokesperson S.K. Tijarawala tweeted that the Sanskrit word Kimbho means ‘What’s new?’ or ‘How are you?’ and hence the name.
The app has almost all the key services provided by WhatsApp and soon had 10,000 downloads from the App stores.
However, the pomp soon came to an end as the app is not available on Google Play Store or the Apple App store anymore. It became unavailable within less than 24 hours of it’s launch.
Speculations of Patanjali taking it down due to French security researcher, Elliot Anderson’s ( he had earlier found holes in Aadhar security ) claims of the app being full of bugs is making rounds.
Another story making rounds is about the App stores taking it down because it was a copy of another app called ‘Bolo Messenger’.
Whatever the case maybe, I guess we’ll need to continue on WhatsApp for now!