Sunny Verghese, co-founder and Group CEO of Singapore-based Olam International was appointed as the new chairman of World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD). His term begins on 1 January 2018 for a duration of two years. He will succeed Mr Paul Polman, CEO of Unilever, who has been Chairman of WBCSD since 2014 and whose term ends on 31 December 2017.
The selection is done on the basis of the voting by the members at the 2017 Annual General Meeting of WBCSD, held on 17th October 2017 during the organization’s Council Meeting taking place in Mexico City. He is the first ever Asian CEO to be appointed as Chair in the organisation’s 25 years of history.
Mr Sunny Verghese
He is co-founder of Olam International, third largest agri-business company in world. He is the recipient of numerous outstanding awards, Ernst & Young Entrepreneur of the Year for Singapore in 2008, CEO of the Year award at the Singapore Corporate Awards in 2011 and Public Service Medal from the Government of Republic of Singapore in 2010. Other than all this, he is also a commissioner of the Business and Sustainable Development Commission (BSDC).
World Business Council for Sustainable Development (WBCSD)
WBCSD is CEO-led, global advocacy association of some 200 international companies dealing exclusively with business and sustainable development. Its global network is of more than 200 CEOs who are responsible for combined revenue of more than $8.5 trillion and 19 million employees. It was created in 1995 with Business Council for Sustainable Development and World Industry Council for the Environment and is based at the Maison de la Paix in Geneva, Switzerland, and has offices in New York and New Delhi. Other than Sunny Verghese, additional appointments for 2018 are also done which includes:
- Jean-Pierre Clamadieu, Chairman of the Executive Committee and CEO, Solvay – appointed as Vice Chair
- Bruno Lafont – appointed as ExCo member for ArcelorMittal
- Takeshi Uchiyamada, Chairman of the Board, Toyota Motor Corporation – reappointed as ExCo member
- Yaofeng Cao, Board Director of Sinopec Corp Vice President, China Petrochemical Corporation
- Amanda Sourry, President, Foods, Unilever – appointed as ExCo member
- Diogo Rodriguez da Silveira, CEO, The Navigator Company – appointed as ExCo member
- Ana Botín, Executive Chair, Banco Santander – reappointed as Vice Chair
- Masami Yamamoto, Chairman of Fujitsu – appointed as Vice Chair